Friday, February 29, 2008

Gestures from class

Here are the few quick sketches I was able to do in between instructing the class. To give you guys an idea of how the class is structured, the model will pose anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. We try to keep the time to a minimum, so that we don't get too focused on details of the anatomy, and focus more on the gesture of the pose. The philosophy is to use the pose as a foundation (a sort of jumping off point) and then to use our imagination and create a drawing that tells a story, or has some sort of entertainment value. It's very fun when your mind finally is open to the idea of not being constrained to what's in front of you. I still have a difficult time with it, so it's great to have those little quotes from Walt to remind me where I should be when I'm drawing.